Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Challenge Accepted

Today I met with a surgeon. I will not say his name because I did not like the man very much. I felt like he was a little condescending and made me feel small for even visiting with him. Regardless, I did get some helpful and only mildly dissapointing information from him:

First of all, this whole time we have been focussed on the bulging disc as the problem. Turns out the larger problem is that I have degenerative disc disease and the disc itself is resembling a deflated tire. This is what is causing the pain. In some ways this made sense to me because all of the exercises/stretches/etc. that normally help with a bulging disc have done nothing for me.

He also told me about the seriousness of surgery, which we already knew. It is very invasive and only has a 40 - 50% effectiveness rate. Yes, friends, it only helps 40 - 50% of the time! So, he recommended that we try everything before making that leap. I have to agree.

I have a new script to try physical therapy again, this time with a new physical therapist that I have respect for. This PT has worked with someone close to me more than once and is very honest, which I appreciate.

At first I felt incredibly disheartened. I don't want surgery, and I certainly don't want to have my spine fused, but I want to be pain free. But then, God gave me a new perspective: This is a challenge. For those of you who know me, there is nothing I love more than a good physical challenge and here I am facing the epitome of all challenges.

This is not the life that God wants for me; I am sure of that! I have been oppressed too long by the pain and possibly even lies of pain that Satan may be whispering in my ear. So I am accepting this challenge and, frankly, I am going to attack it and beat it to the ground!

I got home, ran 5 miles and decided, God willing, I will be running the Riverbank Run in mid May (15.5 miles). I will do even more core training. I will introduce light low back exercises and begin my PT. If something hurts, I'll stop. But if it doesn't, I'm going to keep on going.

John 16:33 I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

If I've got this Guy on my side, how can I go wrong?

God is good, all the time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment